January 11, 2022
Aotearoa kicks off languages decade
Māori have a unique opportunity to collaborate in a global action plan for the usage, preservation, revitalisation and promotion of indigenous languages.
The United Nations has proclaimed the 10 years between 2022 and 2032 as the International Decade of Indigenous Languages.
The aim is to draw global attention to the critical situation of many indigenous languages and to mobilise stakeholders and resources for their preservation, revitalisation and promotion.
The proclamation of an international decade is a key outcome of the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages for which the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) led global efforts.
UNESCO will continue to serve as the lead UN agency for the implementation of the international decade in cooperation with the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA) and other relevant UN agencies.
The online platform of IDIL2022-2032 aims to build a global community for indigenous languages and facilitate information-sharing on activities and events organised all over the world.
It will also promote relevant resources and tools, report and monitor progress made, and create new opportunities for exchange and dialogue among a wide network of stakeholders.
Aotearoa – New Zealand is taking a lead role in IDIL2022-2032 which kicked off on 1 January 2022.
Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori chair Rawinia Higgins is a member of the Global Task Force for Making a Decade of Action for Indigenous Languages which is working on an action plan.
The Māori Language Commission is encouraging all Māori to think about how they can participate in and promote IDIL2022-2032.
- Online survey on the Global Action Plan of the IDIL2022 – 2032 English | French | Spanish
- Rights of indigenous peoples, Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 18 December 2019 A/RES/74/135 [on the report of the Third Committee (A/74/396)],
- Seventy-fourth session, Agenda item 67 (a) (UNGA)
- Strategic Outcome Document of the IYIL2019
- High-level closing event of the IYIL2019 “Making a decade of action for indigenous languages” (27-28 February 2020, Mexico City, Mexico)
- Los Pinos Declaration English | Français | Español
- Summary Document of UNESCO’s World Atlas of Languages
IYIL2019 Social Media
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/IYIL2019 @IYIL2019
- Twitter https://twitter.com/IYIL2019
- Instagram https://www.instagram.com/indigenouslanguages/https://www.in…https://www.instagram.com/indigenouslanguages/
- Hashtags #Indigenouslanguages #WeAreIndigenous