June 23, 2020
Uncooked mussels causing gut ache
New Zealand Food Safety is warning of an increase in cases of food poisoning associated with commercially grown mussels from the Coromandel area.
Food regulation director Paul Dansted said people got sick as the mussels were eaten raw or they did not thoroughly cook them.
The illness is caused by a naturally-occurring marine microorganism Vibrio parahaemolyticus, which is killed by cooking.
He says general advice for consumers includes:
- Don’t eat raw or undercooked mussels or other shellfish.
- Always wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw shellfish.
- Avoid contaminating cooked shellfish with raw shellfish and its juices.
Copyright © 2020, UMA Broadcasting Ltd: www.waateanews.com