August 13, 2014
Labour unable to stop raids
Labour leader David Cunliffe is distancing the previous Labour Government from the 2007 Ruatoki raids.
Police Commissioner Mike Bush is in Ruatoki today to apologise to the community and Ngai Tuhoe for actions taken by the police in putting road blocks around the eastern Bay of Plenty community and detaining people in their cards and homes.
The action was taken as part of an investigation into what they alleged were military-style training camps being conducted in Te Urewera by Tuhoe activist Tame Iti and others.
The Independent Police Complaints Authority backed the investigation and subsequent arrests, but found many of the police actions were illegal or unwarranted.
Mr Cunliffe says it is fitting the police are now apologising.
"It is appropriate the police apologise because I want to underline for everybody that this was a police operational matter, not a matter that was decided by the Labour Government, ministers or cabinet. Police are operationally independent they informed on the day of or the day before that this was occuring. They did not seek permission and so it is appropriate that the police commissioner is the one conducting the apology." he says.
David Cunliffe says he met last week with Tuhoe leaders, and he’s committed to building a forward-looking, mana-based relationship with the iwi.
Copyright © 2014, UMA Broadcasting Ltd