November 24, 2014
Iwi joins in Waipa clean up
The Waikato River Authority intends to spend up to $1.5 million over the next three years working with iwi, councils and landowners on projects to restore and protect the Waipa River.
The Waikato Regional Council will also contribute through its long term plan.
Landowners in two priority subcatchments can get up to 70 per cent of the costs of implementing a farm plan, with the remaining 30 per cent coming from cash or in-kind labour such as fencing, planting, site preparation or weed control.
In the Waipa Rerenoa – Waipa River Restoration Project, Maniapoto Maori Trust Board, Te Keeti Marae, Otorohanga District Council, the Waikato Catchment Ecological Enhancement Trust and local landowners will work together to restore a six kilometre stretch of the Waipa River and 700 metres of the Mohoanui Stream.
That will include 14 kilometres of fencing, planting 31,000 native plants, and re-establishing watercress in the Mohoanui Stream.
Copyright © 2014, UMA Broadcasting Ltd: www.waateanews.com