May 23, 2021
No mana as port boss shrinks off
One of the loudest voices calling for the resignation of Ports of Auckland boss Tony Gibson says the manner of his departure brings no credit to anyone.
Mr Gibson has announced he is stepping down at the end of June, citing persistent and sometimes personal attacks on him – but his statement did not acknowledge the workers who died at the port on his watch.
Independent Māori Statutory Board deputy chair Tau Henare, who along with former union official Shane Te Pou and First Union general secretary Robert Reid issued an open letter last month calling on Mr Gibson to go, says he should have quit when the report on the port’s poor health and safety culture was released.
He says the ousted chief executive makes out that he’s the victim, but he will be remembered as a failed leader.
"I think we were brought in to smash the union and change the port. He could have done that and it could have been New Zealand's top port, and you don't do that by alienating people and you don't do it by not taking responsibility. That's not mana enhancing for anybody," Mr Henare says.
He says the port company board should have acted earlier.
Copyright © 2021, UMA Broadcasting Ltd: www.waateanews.com