April 14, 2020
Rosewood dominates COVID-19 toll
There have been four more deaths from COVID-19 in New Zealand, three of them among the group of elderly people with dementia transferred from the Rosewood Aged Care Home to Burwood Hospital.
Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield says the two men in their 90s and one in his 80s had underlying medical conditions.
The fourth death was a man in his 70s at Wellington Hospital, who was admitted on March 22 after being infected with the coronavirus overseas.
That means there have been a total of nine deaths far from COVID-19, six of them from the Rosewood cluster.
There were 17 new cases reported today, 8 new confirmed cases and 9 new probable cases.
That makes a combined total of 1366.
So far 628 people have recovered from COVID-19 infection, an increase of 82 on yesterday.
There are 15 people in hospital including three people in ICU.
Dr Bloomfield says New Zealand has more than 650 aged care facilities, and the fact relatively few facilities are affected compared to overseas is testament to excellent care and preparation across the sector.
Family visits and non-essential visits were stopped ahead of the country moving to Alert Level 4, and every new arrival at a facility must also now go into isolation for 14 days.
Copyright © 2020, UMA Broadcasting Ltd: www.waateanews.com