July 16, 2017
Ngati Kahungunu announce reo Maori award winners
Ngati Kahungunu have announced it's annual language award winners.
Director of Te Reo and Tikanga Jeremy MacLeod says it's one way of acknowledging those dedicated to the revitalisation of te reo in Ngati Kahungunu.
Twelve categories were recognised and winner of Te Manu Papaho Aaron Munro says he's humbled by the award.
Aaron has worked in Iwi radio as well as television and joins a list of high profile tribal leaders and language champions.
The categories and winners are:
1. Te Hapori Whanui (Community)
Hastings Fire Brigade
2. Te Whanau Whakaihuwaka (Inter-generational)
3. Te Tira Hou o Te Reo Maori (Rangatahi)
4. Te Manu Papaho (Broadcasting)
5. Te Kete Aronui o Nga Toi (Arts)
6. Te Ahorangi o Te Kupu (Teacher)
7. Te Tahito o Te Reo Maori (Kaumatua) – Male and Female
Tiwana Aranui & Ngahuia Matairangi
8. Te Kaikokiri o Te Reo Maori (Marae)
9. Te Kahukura o Te Reo (Wahine)
10. Te Awhiorangi o Te Reo (Tane)
Sir Pita Sharples
11. Te Kuru Pounamu o Te Reo Maori (Kuia – posthumous)
12. Te Kuru Pounamu o Te Reo Maori (Koroua – posthumous)
The Nga Tohu Reo o Ngati Kahungunu 2017 will be held in Hastings, on Friday 25 August.
Copyright © 2017, UMA Broadcasting Ltd: www.waateanews.com