September 03, 2012
Waipareira case evidence in place
Waipareira chief executive John Tamihere says its touch and go whether the West Auckland trust did enough in court last week to stop the Ministry of Social Development taking away its Family Start contract.
Mr Tamihere says in taking on the power of the state, Waipareira has to prove bad faith and not just unfairness was behind the decision.
He says if the case is lost it will go to appeal.
“Now what will happen is we will end up holding the contract for the time we were meant to have it. The Crown would have spent over $1 million. Waipareira will have spent over $350,000. The families we are serving will have been in the top five providers in the country, as we are today. This should never have happened but what it is, the day you question or challenge them, they’ve got to ensure that you know who the master is,” Mr Tamihere says.
The High Court will hear final submissions in two weeks.